I’m sure you’ve heard the expression “you never get a second first impression”. Well, they’re right! When prospective buyers see your home online, in person, or any other way… THAT first sight is their impression of the rest of your home. You want to have that wow-factor on the exterior to leave them wanting more! Here are eight tips for adding instant curb appeal:
- The front door. What do your neighbors homes look like? Are they all the same wooden door, with the same stain? Whip out that paint brush and paint it a color that stands out from the rest of the homes on the block! Buyers want unique.
- Exterior wash. Pressure washing the outside of the home can really add a nice touch. Pay special attention to any white or light-colored areas, which tend to collect dust and dirt. Power washing is also effective on concrete, and can really lighten up sidewalks and driveways.
- Shine bright like a diamond. Anything that’s metal on the outside of your home should sparkle and shine. Exterior light fixtures should all be working order with no lights on their last leg. Buyers want to see light and bright. While you’re outside, how to the house numbers look? If they’re looking dull or dated, it might be in your best interest to replace them with some more modern looking numbers.
- Hide the kids and dogs. We must remember, not everyone loves dogs and babies. So its best to erase all (or most) of the evidence of them living there. Toys go in baskets, dog beds in the garage, we want the home to show as neutral as possible.
- Plant a garden… or some succulents. I’m not asking for one of the immaculate gardens all our grandmas and mamas can keep thriving. Just add a pop of color with some wild flowers or something super simple like succulents for some added greenery! Trust me, it will give your yard some life.
- Light up your life. Good exterior lighting improves both appearance and security. In-ground spots can accent landscape elements or the house itself. Make sure the front walkway and drive are well lit. If wiring is not an option, solar fixtures are relatively inexpensive and easy to install, although they may not be as bright as wired fixtures.
- Look out the window. How the yard looking? I imagine pretty great if you followed steps 1-6. How are those windows? Free of water marks and dirt riiiiiiight? Well, if not lets get those puppies shining! Nothing dampens a mood more than looking out a dirty old window.. Just ask Kim Wilde! (pun intended)
- Shutters are a plus. By no means necessary, although shutters add a cozy feel! If you’re thinking about replacing your current shades or window hangings, consider some white shutters! If you already have shutters, reattach anything that looks saggy or any broken pieces.
As you plan your exterior makeover, keep in mind your neighborhood, competing homes that are on the market, and most importantly your budget!